Art & Design
How we ensure access for all:
We encourage all of our learners to do their very best and to enable this we provide our children with the skills, experiences and knowledge to become talented artists. We encourage our talented artists to further develop their skills in the Art Club and take part in art workshops across the borough. In previous years, the Art Club has submitted high quality art pieces to the UEL Gallery, with some work being used for promoting the Art Matters online Gallery across the borough.
How we develop cultural capital:
We regularly visit galleries and exhibit our learners' artwork at the Art Matters Gallery at the University of East London. Each year, one year group works with a resident artist to develop and enhance their knowledge of global art and how art has influenced the way in which people live. We discuss how art communicates and is a means of learning about art and artists from different cultures.
As part of our Religious Education curriculum we visit different places of worship where the children can observe the beauty of religious buildings and artefacts. This is then interpreted by our learners into varying art forms such as sculptures and paintings. Many of these beautiful pieces of art have been entered into borough RE art competitions.
How we know your child is succeeding:
- Through pupil discussion, learners will talk enthusiastically about their own and other artist's work using artistic vocabulary
- Observations are made of sketch books and completed pieces, that show a progression of skills
- Learners discuss and critique their own artwork as well as the work of local and global artists
- Learners' artworks are displayed and celebrated at Ellen Wilkinson, and the wider community
How you can support your child ?:
- Encourage your child to take part in art activities at home such as creating art from recycled objects
- Discuss local and global artists and how they have influenced others
- Support your child with Home Learning Projects to further enhance their artistic skills
- Encourage your child to draw the beauty in nature such as mini beasts, plants and flowers
The Art Club takes place on Wednesday at 3.30pm.
Art Matters Online Exhibition