Junior Governing Body (School Council)
Junior Governing Body at Ellen Wilkinson
How it works
Ellen Wilkinson’s Junior Governing Body members are chosen each year through the democratic process of election. All pupils in years 1 – 6 have the opportunity to become a member of the Junior Governing Body as as a representative. Those who are interested have to prepare a speech stating why they consider themselves to be the right person for the job! Each child has to deliver the speech to their peers in their class and answer any questions. Once this is finished, the voting process begins.
This early introduction to voting is intended to familiarise pupils with the key skills needed to become active citizens in the wider community.
Over the years the Junior Governing Body (previously known as School Council) members have participated in staff recruitment: Simon Sutton the schools Site Supervisor was put through a gruelling interview by Junior Governing Body members when he applied for his job!
Our quarterly updates on projects can be found here.
Quarter 1 Summary
Quarter 1 Summary:
We, the Junior Governors, have been selected through an election process which took place during British Values’ week in September. Children had the chance to learn about the democratic process and then took part in a ballot which resulted in the election of the school’s Junior Governor Body.
- The JGB had the opportunity to meet with Mrs Ferguson to discuss the best use of playground equipment.
- Junior Governors expressed helpful suggestions which have already had a positive impact during break and lunch times.
UP and Out Week
- The JGB had the opportunity to write letters to individuals from different trades to invite them to Up and Out week.
- They then had a chance to host and provide them with a tour of our school.
Quarter 2 Summary
Quarter 2 Summary:
- During Anti Bullying week, we carried out pupil voice surveys, where we identified areas the children felt safe and where they would like more support.
- We will soon feed this information back to the Senior Leader Team.
Good Deeds at Christmas:
- The JGB promoted the Christmas Kindness Calendar throughout the month of December, as well as a Festive Jumper day on 15th December 2022 raising money for ‘Richard House Hospice’.
- Members of the Junior Governing Body had the chance to participate in the menu development programme for Juniper (our caterers).
- The development team asked our JGB members for their feedback on a number of potential dishes for the new menus.
- The JGB were very forthcoming and provided feedback which was valuable to the caterers.
Junior Governors 2022 - 2023
|Shark||Ariana and Larissa|
|Whale||Nia and Agnija|
|Stingray||Kajus and Boris|
|Dolphin||Isra and Naglis|
|Octopus||Jay and Diana|
|Seahorse||Ruby and Olivia|
|Lobster||Eric and Natalie|
|Turtle||Aroush and Luca|
|Jellyfish||Sonny and Shannon|
|Starfish||Oliver and Ayden|
|Lionfish||Isabella and Paula|
|Clownfish||Ismaeel and Kayden|