The Arts curriculum, encompassing Art, Music, History and Geography will ensure all of our children will be engaged in an inclusive, inspirational creative curriculum that reflects our local, historical and global community. This will ensure our children are critical thinkers and lifelong curious learners.
How we teach Music:
- Children aged from Nursery to Year 6 will be taught using the Charanga program of music.
- Children in Year 3 will be given whole class provision to learn the Ukulele.
- Every child will be taught several skills, including how to sing, compose, improvise and perform in different musical styles including (although not limited to) reggae, classical or Jazz.
- Every child will learn about music from different periods in history and from various places around the world.
- Every child will learn how to be musically creative and explore their interests, global community and the compositions of others.
How we ensure access for all:
- All children will have an inspiring music education which encompasses their life experiences, history and culture.
- All children will have the opportunity to build on their individual musical skills and have access to the music provision.
- All children have access to YUMU to enhance and support their musical skills.
- Talented pupils have the opportunity to join the Newham Groove, help run our school choirs or use YUMU to complete tasks tailored to support their musical development.
- At EWPS we promote learning through music to support the development of fundamental skills for our SEND pupils for example: learning through music to support language and communication skills.
How we develop cultural capital:
- At EWPS children will have the opportunity to take part in internal and external concerts and visit music venues from around London and our local area.
- Children will have the opportunity to learn how to play a variety of instruments from around the world such as, the Ukulele, Glockenspiel and recorder.
- Children will have the opportunity to explore a diverse variety of music styles and artists to support their knowledge of world music.
- As EWPS are the Beckton Music Hub for Newham Groove we bring all children from our local area together to learn and play music as an ensemble.
How we know your child is succeeding:
- From EYFS to year 6, our teachers use the Charanga program for music to monitor your child’s progress in 7 areas:
- Listening and Appraise
- Music Dimensions
How you can support your child:
- If your child is interested in joining either our after-school choir, lunch time choir or Newham Groove club (Year 3-4) then please speak to your child's teacher for more information.
- YUMU is Charanga’s online child-friendly music portal. Here, teacher’s set tasks for your child to complete at home. Each child has their own login to access their tasks so the tasks set are unique to them and their musical needs. Please ensure your child logs on every week to support their music development. If needed, speak to your child's teacher for login details.
- Clink the image below to access YUMU.
“Music is a universal language that embodies one of the highest forms of creativity. A high-quality music education should engage and inspire pupils to develop a love of music and their talent as musicians, and so increase their self-confidence, creativity and sense of achievement. As pupils progress, they should develop a critical engagement with music, allowing them to compose, and to listen with discrimination to the best in the musical canon.”
(National Curriculum 2014)
Upcoming Music Events
If you would like to find out more information please contact: